Saturday, June 26, 2010

Well, didn't see that one coming...

Some people impulse buy clothes. Some randomly choose to buy a large electronics item. More still make a spontaneous decision to buy one of those desk birds that bob into the cup of water.

Me. I just bought a roundtrip ticket to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and thanks to Trip Advisor I've got myself a sweet little hotel to stay in for $30 a night.

For those who know how I travel, you will know that I plan the shit out of wherever I'm going. I know exactly where I'm going, what I'm going to do and which day I want to see which article of which item of which museum.

Which is why this decision makes no sense. I had actually been considering heading to Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia because I'd heard that it was usually cheap from Darwin and catered to tourists. A safe taste of SE Asia if you will. I'm sure HCMC will be relatively harmless but I know nothing about it and have no idea how to speak the language. Hell, I thought it was still called Saigon! One of the most peculiar parts of the flight choice is that I don't even like asian food that much. Seriously, I don't go out of my way to have it.... ever.

When I head there I will try to track down the odd internet cafe so I can check in from time to time. I'll only be there for 4 days so there can't be too much that goes wrong in that amount of time. I think.

I've already accepted that I'll be swindled. I'll be treated like a foolish tourist (because I will be). Some kid will probably even try to pick my pocket. I'm still looking forward to the experience and I guarantee I'll try to get as many sweet pics and video clips as I can while I'm there.

I fly out on Canada Day and get back to Darwin on July 5th. I'm pretty sure I'll never spend that long weekend the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment