Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pods, Darwin and everything inbetween

PART 1:

I managed to make it across the pacific without much trouble. I didn’t actually get to see it much. Most of the travel was done during the night and once we were closer to Australia there was a huge low pressure system that covered the ocean with cumulonimbus clouds.


The ‘pod’ ended up being pretty damn comfortable. It let me sleep for almost 8 hours straight without much a problem. The seat lowers to a flat level but I found it a touch short for my massive frame. Come on Air Canada, can’t you design these things for people taller than 5’9”? It’s evolution, we’re getting taller!





Sidenote: Watched “The Book of Eli” on the way over. Underrated movie. Slow moving, but I wasn’t going anywhere so it kept my rapt attention in tact. Denzel does a good job of being a post-apocalyptic badass. Don’t know why I skipped this flick in the real world, but I digress.

As expected the service during the flight was top notch. I really don’t think I made an effort to get the most out of the 1st class experience but ah well. Maybe next time.

I made a huge rookie traveller mistake. The hipbelt on my brand new backpack swivels and detaches by a half-turn and pull. I thought that since it was strapped in I would be safe. Turns out, I was stupid…am stupid. The hipbelt detached at some point during my 2 baggage transfers and is out there in the ether somewhere. However, the baggage service desk in Sydney was wicked awesome and they helped set me up for a replacement piece. I just have to check in with the baggage desk in Darwin and they’ll help me get a free replacement. Luckily I can manage with the shoulder straps for now, but in 2 months when I start trekking around with Ashton I’ll need that belt.

Right now I’m flying over Queensland. We’ll be rounding toward Darwin once we south of Mount Isa. I’m betting they take the roundabout way to get there for safety reasons. For example, if they flew straight to Darwin from Sydney it would be populated… for awhile. But then you’d enter remote desert with nary a soul in sight. At least this way you fly over coastal towns/cities as well as farms and ranchland. It should help the authorities find us if we go down.

"Nice scenery during the flight."

"See those clear crisp blue waters off the coast of Darwin? Yeah, you can't actually swim in them. Turns out box jellyfish and crocodiles can cause sudden pain and or death."



PART 2:

My first night in Darwin I set out to tire myself out. So I walked into "town" aka downtown to find a place to eat. What I ended up finding was the wrong way, a McDonald's, another few km's to the right spot, a pint at a bar called 'Monsoon' and a long walk back. I slept like a baby.

The highlight of the night was walking downtown and seeing a dark bird fly overhead. I looked up and said to myself, "That's a bloody big bird." Then I looked at it again....it was a bat, with a 2ft wingspan (not exaggerating). And they were everywhere! There was a massive group of them congregated in a huge tree that I could hear from blocks away. When I finally got close it was almost deafening. Super cool stuff that the locals brush off as normal. Check this link to see what I'm talking about:


When I pulled into work this morning one of the employees was outside having a smoke. He was shivering. It's +21 already outside and it's only 8:51am here. No one disagreed that it felt cold out. I was almost sweating.

Should be a good 'cool' summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment